Thursday, August 20, 2009

Faith Revived

A miracle has happened. Or I really REALLY want to believe that it happened. I am now an owner of comfortable flats. Just like "fashion in Seattle," that notion has been a paradox for me for many years. I am a lucky owner of a few pairs of heels that I can wear comfortably for days at a time. (Ok, that's a slight exhageration... but I can at least get through a day in the office in them without major pain.) Comfortable flats on the other hand.... I have almost stopped believing in the notion. But my friend Nordstrom revived the faith.

My first experience with flats happened about five years ago, when after searching far and wide I finally settled on a pretty pair of brockaded Nine Wests. They were made of hard leather, which didn't stop me from getting them, because my hope was that they'd expand, just like the pumps that I got from Nine West did. Those 6 1/2 stillettos (I'm a solid 8 in pretty much all other brands) were the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned. And I absolutely killed them to a point of no repair. Another reason to get those flats were my favorite sandals. Also made by Nine West, those babies have served me faithfully for seven years. That's right. I've owned only one pair of black sandals for seven years, and I do not wish to part with them anytime soon. Granted, I've spent more on repairs than on the shoes themselves, but they are worth every penny. No surprise then that Nine West was a promising investment for flats as well. But I was mistaken. The leather was so hard that only an elephant would've expanded it, and probably only after twenty years of wearing them on a daily basis. The shoes have collected dust on my rack for three years. (Would anyone like to buy a pair of beautiful brockade Nine West flats?)

Next up -- a pretty black pair purchased for a good price in a boutique in Riga, Latvia. They were comfortable enough. More so than the elephant brockades. And I've absolutely worn them out, despite the fact that the sole was made out of wood, which gave me calluses, and the leather was man-made, to which my feet did not react in a good way. They were great, but not to the point of wearing them day in and day out without damage to my poor toes and the area which the "expandable" top hit. My feet looked like they had round zippers on them after I took the shoes off. Needless to say, I kept up the search.

My next attempt at comfort was also a pair from my friend Nordstrom. (One that today I'll attempt to return.) Hypothetically so comfortable that I was gonna get them in three different colors, they were a hidden torture. Hidden because the pain was caused by nothing predictable. Their shape just didnt mesh with my foot. The tracktion of my knuckles against the leather caused scrapes both on the knuckles and the shoe! It was the kind of pain that you can't bear -- the annoying, burn-like sensation that was made only worse with an addition of a bandaid. I couldn't SIT in the shoes, much less walk around. They were kept in the office for emergencies only -- like unexpected meetings with the public. The rest of the time I lived in flip-flops (I mean.... Sandals with a strap....)

Well, my trip to Latvia is coming up, and low and behold I realized that the aforementioned flip flops might not due there in the beginning of fall. Walking is the primary means of commute back in the mother country. And even though a lot of girls bravely trott about in four-inch heels, I'm just not up to par to handle that on the streets of old town paved with hand-made brick. (Did I mention the city's 800 years old?) So out I went again yesterday in search of comfortable flats.

I almost hit a jackpot with a pair of gold Seychelles on sale at Nordstrom Rack for $30.00 (wouldn't that have been nice...) But upon acquisition of the second shoe, it became apparent that only one foot feels comfortable in them. And not comfortable enough for long-term walking either. Another attempt was made at Ross, where, I thought it was a sure thing, a pair of burgundy flats with a buckle would satisfy my lust for comfort for a mere $21.99. But comfort is elusive, and upon return to my office and clearing of my head (and walking around for 20 minutes) it was evident that those shoes were not it.

After some research online, I found a blog on comfortable flats that raved about the ones from Lanvin. Not quite being at that point in the morning, by the end of the night I was just about ready to hand over $550.00 for comfort and design. But low and behold, Barneys did not carry my size in the magic color that went with everything. (Literally. I'm not kidding. Go check them out. The color seriously goes with EVERYTHING.) My friend Nordstrom, on the other hand, did not have the magic color. But to see my size I still tried the Lanvins on. Were they comfortable? No.

Knowing his product, and ready to wipe desperation off my face, the wonderful "Daniel" next opened a box with THEM. He claimed there is no flat that gets more comfortable than the beautiful creation he held so gently in his hands. After a day of trying on footwear that felt like chains, slipping into these felt like slipping into slippers at the end of a long, difficult day. The chemistry was there from the get-go. The price was less than half of the promising but non-delivering Lanvins. It was meant to be. I got them.

And I'm happy. Granted, I wasn't planning to spend that much on flats. But if these babies hold up and deliver what they promise, I will never regret the investment. So far I've walked up the hill to the bus stop in them (twice... forgot the coffee at home), and have not taken them off in the office for almost three hours. I'm still trying to feel out where they hurt. But the fact that it's difficult to determine leaves me with hope. My faith in a comfortable flat has been revived! And if I live through my trip in them... Well, i just might have to get a second pair!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment