Friday, August 21, 2009

Traveling Light -- Tips and Tricks

I feel like I have more right than anyone else to write about this. After all, I'm known for taking one carry-on bag literally anywhere I go -- no matter for how long. My record was a small Nike sports bag -- one of those that can be passed for a purse with some ladies -- for a weekend of snowboarding in L.A.. Things I brought included gear (I rent boots and board though) and a couple unnecessary items that I never even used on the trip (don't we all wish that never happened....). Needless to say, I've extracted surpsised faces many-a-time upon arrival and proclamation that I have no baggage to claim. It's not even that people are surprised that it's possible to travel with just one luggage item. It's just that for some reason noone ever imagines that it's ME who can manage to do that. But then again... people also don't realize I own very little clothes, cook, and bake.

But once again I diverge... Why would I inflict such pain upon myself? Here are a few reasons to travel light:

1. This eliminates any chance that your luggage will get lost. This has never happened to me (for obvious reasons...), but I've heard way too many horror stories of people being stuck on their honeymoon with only what they had on during the trip.

2. Now that airlines started charging for extra luggage, you save money. And everyone likes saving money!

3. There is no waiting time at the end of the trip. Sometimes luggage can take up to an hour and a half to arrive after you have landed. Having none saves the time for both you and whoever is picking you up.

4. As awesome as muscles are... back sprains aren't a favorite of mine. On my last trip I brought a small bag packed with gifts (mostly books) and checked-in both my carry-on and that bag with full assurance from my departing point agent that I will receive the bags upon arrival back home. Surprise: they lied. Chicago is merciless when it comes to customs. There, I was told to take my luggage and bring it with me to the next check-in point. Dragging even a small bag filled with books for two hours through a huge line of customs and crowds of people isn't exactly a pleasant experience. I'm determined to avoid it at all costs in the future.

So how DO I manage to pack into a small carry-on? Below are a few tips to get you started.

1. Travel in the summer. Or when it's summer at your destination. O.K., so I admit that this tip is a little redundant, but seriously... Summer clothes are much lighter than winter ones, so you can fit more of them into a smaller space.

2. Get a good carry-on size suitcase. There's no point to have just a carry on, no matter how small, if you still have to lug it around on your shoulder or in your hand. A small suitcase that fits in the overhead compartment and has wheels is what you need to find. It needs to have an expandable hanger compartment coming out of its top -- that way you can bring suits/dresses without wrinkling them. Extra pockets on the outside are definitely a bonus -- mine has two in the front.

3. Plan ahead. I've been thinking about my trip ever since I came back two years ago. I've been buying clothes for a year with consideration for the trip. I've been brainstorming on SMALL presents for a couple months as well. (Small doesn't mean cheap by the way. i-Pods are small. So are diamond bracelets.) I'be been analyzing the settings I'll be in and figuring out if any of my clothes can be used in more than one. If you're not thinking the stuff through, you're bound to end up with a pile of stuff on your bed the night before, and bring crap you'll never use on the trip while not having half the stuff you need.

4. Shop ahead. This year I started a week early, and BOY am I happy I did that! I spent my first two days just walking around every store in Seattle and looking at prices and merchandise available. This gave me some pretty good ideas for presents. It also saved me money. I know that if I shopped last minute I would've grabbed the first thing available, and not necessarily the best deal. This also gave me an opportunity to figure out what I need. I'm about to return $300 worth of merchandise I realized I can perfectly do without, after owning it for a couple days. (NEVER throw away receipts or take tags off until you are actually putting an item on to wear!) Laying out all the presents ahead of time also allowed me to realize that some kids are getting way too much crap while others are getting too little, and that I have more shopping and returning to do.

5. Pack ahead. Take some time to sample-pack everything you are taking a few days early. Doing that made me aware of the fact that some presents are simply not the right shape for the suitcase and should be exchanged. And that all the new stuff I bought for myself doesn't fit so I have to return it all (Sigh... of relief for my credit card ;). It took a couple hours, but now I can sleep without worrying that something won't fit.

6. Use every nick and cranny available! My suitcase has its two handle rails showing on the bottom. Instead of just putting big items on there, I first stuff the space between the rails with small t-shirts, socks, and underwear. I also stuff shoes. Yes, it's tempting to put it all in one big bag. But much more efficient to stuff it here and there (just make sure nobody's watching while you're unpacking).

7. Wear heavy things on yourself. On my snowboarding trip I was able to bring a pair of boots with the fur because I wore them on the plane. This time I'm able to take two pairs of jeans instead of just one because I'll be wearing one of them. Coat rides on my shoulders as well. As do sneakers (on my feet).

8. If you absolutely need toiletries, bring sample sizes. You are only allowed one clear plastic bag of them anyways, so seriously pick and choose what you need and what you don't. Most likely your favorite aunt DOES own shampoo.

9. Trust your instincts. If the inner voice is telling you to take something out or put something in... Do it! You'll sleep better, and most likely you'll need or not need exactly that thing that you thought about.

10. Don't kid yourself. You will NOT be reading your extra-large size family bible with illustrations on the plane. If you're a christian, chances are people you're going to visit own enough bibles for you to read on location. You will also NOT finish work on your vacation. So don't bother bringing the laptop. Even if it's for showing pictures. Chances are the people you're visiting have a computer, so bring a flash drive instead. But seriously, I've learned that a small album with carefully selected photos that you can leave for your grandma after your departure works much better. More personal, and takes less time/space. Because trust me, even people you haven't seen for a while don't want to see 500 images from your recent trip to a small village in Idaho. And any work you do end up doing... well the amount is likely not enough to justify lugging a laptop around.

11. Be aware of current rules and regulations. Chances are security won't let you bring an expensive bottle of champagne/shampoo with you in the carry on. Think ahead. This way you'll make the line move faster both for yourself and for the people behind you.

HAPPY PACKING!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Cosmetics all go in my little purse... How much do u think i need?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I should read this before every trip, I'm notorious for overpacking...

    ReplyDelete