Wednesday, June 17, 2009

And the bride wore... an eighth grade prom gown?

Before I write this post let me make one thing clear. I am not obsessed with weddings, and especially not with getting married. I am, however, somewhat overly interested in a certain wedding photographers' blog. But that's because the guy is AWESOME. In my opinion, he is literally the best out there in wedding photography. I check his website at least twice a week. I know. A bit much for a person who is not even romantically involved with anyone -- much less is planning a wedding. After looking at his pictures today I was totally inspired. And trying to write about something other than the inspired topic would just not flow right. So bear with me while my inexperienced self offers a little input about weddings, out of all things.

So if you ARE romantically involved with someone and planning a wedding, you should definitely hire that aforementioned photographer. His website is http://www.victorzerga.com/ and I can almost guarantee that you will not regret it. I have yet to hear any negative comments about him from brides that I know, who have used his service for their special day.

The person you should NOT hire is a certain seamstress who runs a shop from a garage behind her house. If you are a Slavic bride you'll know exactly who I'm talking about. And since I don't want to get sued for defamation, (although everything I am about to say is true to the best of my knowledge,) I will not give out any other identifying information. Let me just say that the end result of her work is an overpriced dress that looks more like an eighth grade dance outfit bought from a cheap chain store than a bridal/bridesmaid gown. The quality of sewing is actually not bad at all. But that's because she doesn't make the dresses herself -- she ships them overseas and has someone else do the work. The dress you will get will look nothing like what you had in mind or gave her a picture of.

Most likely it won't fit you right either. The lady apparently has very little sense of measurements. She has an excellent sense of slacking, however, so she will assure you that the dress fits you exactly how it's supposed to. Even if you can't breathe, the zipper in the back looks like a snake more than a straight line, and the chest area is somewhere closer to your chin. Some of her responses: "Get a push up bra," (No bra on earth could push THAT high!), "Girls like tight clothes these days," (um, no. Girls like to breathe these days!), "You are too picky," (I'm so sorry that I would like a $220 dress measured for me to actually fit!).

If you've already made the mistake of ordering here, I BEG you, do not let the lady herself fix anything! Get what scraps she has left over of the same fabric (good luck!) and take your dress to a professional tailor who knows what they are doing. Mine discovered, that when she claimed there was no more space to take the dress out, and I still could barely breathe, it was because she failed to undue the original seam. Of course it was still tight! What she did with the straps ended up looking like a cat scratched the fabric all over. Very noticeable on silk and barely fixable with a limited supply of fabric.

And if the demanding brat that you are does decide to ask to fix a strap that's too short, be prepared for a myriad of nasty comments said to you in a sugary voice. With a smile. In front of the guy that you came with. (He deserves to be warned of the evil traits you've been so carefully hiding from him all this time, right?) Also, prepare yourself for last minute appointment cancellations (and by last minute I mean over the phone when you let her know you are at the house), long waiting periods for things to get done, and her forgetting to actually do the things to get done when she does finally decide to see you. If you are in fear that the woman who's about to make your dress is her, leave me a comment. I'll let you know.

Some more thoughts... get a Vera Wang gown, have your wedding in Paris, and wear dance shoes. They are more comfortable :)

I'm sure my input will be more relevant once I actually go through my own wedding. But that's not going to happen for a long time. And inspiration to write today is just something I can't help...

ORIGINAL DESIGN:
Photobucket

END RESULT:
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment