Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Suddenly Cold

Seattle is a fun place to live. One of the best things about it, of course, are the unexpected weather changes. Two days ago it was hot and sunny. Now we're into day three of the usual: cold and rain. Nobody really knows how long that will last. And I don't really mind, except for the fact that it totally took me by surprise this time. It's my first winter out of my own. And I never realized that the things on windows called curtains actually serve a bigger purpose than hanging decoration.

My mom warned me too. She said I'll need some heavy curtains to keep out the cold, as well as a bed, which would make me warmer because I'd be further away from the floor. I brushed her off. Summer was a comfortable time, and I thought it's always gonna be like that. But i was wrong. For the past couple days I've been going to bed and waking up in freezing temperatures, (which I'm sure are the reason for the headache that persistently won't go away for the past twelve hours). My empty space feels extra unwelcoming and uninviting now. Suddenly a lump sum of money for a bed and a mattress seems like a good investment. As always, mom was right.
Moving out on your own will make you realize all sorts of things you didn't know before! One of them is that parents are much smarter than you think. Not that I ever doubted that... just that once again it has been confirmed. If you just moved out on your own... listen to mom and get some curtains and a bed! Because once winter comes, you'll need both! Trust me!



1 comment: