Monday, July 13, 2009

Confessions of a Commuter

Although I've complained about the commute many-a-time, it's actually not that big of a waste, considering everything goes well. If you look at it from the bright side, I've been given the gift of time. An hour each way on the bus or train, depending on when I leave, to be exact. This time has been invaluable in furthering my personal development. In one year, I've finished at least three times as many books as I've ever opened in High School and college combined!

Of course, sometimes things go terribly wrong... Here's what you need to do to be a likeable, happy commuter and avoid being hated on by an entire bus/train.

1. Smile and say good morning/day/evening to the driver. Thank them when you get off. I never realized how much it means until one driver actually commented on my "cheerful" attitude. A small courtesy goes a long way. Plus, this makes them remember you better. And the time when you forget your pass will inevitably come. Better be on a good foot with the driver then!

2. Get your pass/money/transfer ready BEFORE you get on the bus. Don't try to bargain with the driver! They're not the ones setting the rates, and all you'll get is your co-commuters and the driver annoyed. My point is, don't be holding up the line by starting to think about your fare when you're on the steps of the bus.

3. Busses and trains on the west coast are generally o.k. to chat in. However, I wouldn't advise it in the morning. That's when people catch up on sleep. But even in the afternoon -- keep your voice down. If you decide to play chess on the train, for the love of my eardrums, don't be commenting on your every move! Think to yourself. You already have a reputation for being the best: announcing it with every acquired figure just makes you look like a fifty year old idiot (who's acting five).

4. This is difficult to mention to your face but... brush your teeth in the morning. Use deodorant. People have to sit VERY close to each other...

5. If you are over thirty and hideous, please don't chat young girls up. The generous offer of personal/administrative assistant position will be laughed at and frownfully rejected. After all, we really do have the best one of THOSE already. Try CFO -- then we'll talk. Maybe.

6. If you are over thirty and hideous, and started asking questions about my bible... I WILL answer and share about Jesus with you. Please don't assume it's because I think you're cute. YOU started it. But what kind of Christianity would I be exhibiting if I just ignored your questions?

7. If planning to use the phone, once again, please be aware of how far some voices carry. Try to sit in the front -- that way only the driver will be suffering from your mindless/business blabber.

8. If you do decide to talk on the phone or to your neighbor loudly, please be aware of the fact that everyone can hear. At one point I was considering writing a book about the interesting bits of information I overheard on the train or bus. You never know who might be listening. I could be a stranger. Or I could be the best friend of that "idiot" worst boss you've ever had that you just so passionately badmouthed to YOUR best friend. In addition, dinner sounded great before you started sharing your biological problems. Oh, and I really didn't have to know that your babysitter's mother's cat gets its nails clipped at the 5th avenue groomers' that's owned by that slut who's slept with your fourth ex-husband fifteen years ago... Coincidence? You think not! (I think big time!!!)

9. If you snore, get medication. (Although that video of on youtube has been getting quite a few hits!)

10. Train is NOT a good place for excursions. Especially not the morning train. If you bring your elementary/middle school/government retirees class on board and start telling them about the history of Sound Transit... be prepared to get death stares. And yes, they are meant to make you uncomfortable. Because you just made everyone uncomfortable by waking them up!

11. Just be aware of the fact that you aren't the only person on the bus or train, and be curteous to the people riding with you. The rest is pretty much common sense.

Photobucket

1 comment: