Friday, July 31, 2009

First Stuff

I've waited for at least 10 years to finally have my own space to decorate exactly how I want. I now have the place, the money for the stuff, and the time to go buy it. So after a long trip to a couple stores tonight I came home with... NOTHING. And I don't understand what the heck is wrong with me! But I have my theories.

Theory #1: There's too much stuff to buy and I don't know where to start. I practically don't have anything to move into my apartment, except for my clothes. Ironically, clothes are the only thing that even made it into my shopping cart today. I walked up and down at least a dozen isles, some of them several times. I touched the towels, took out the laundry hampers, compared prices for the coffee makers, and couldn't decide.

Theory #2: It's unfamiliar territory. I mean, throw me into clothes or shoes and I'll be able to tell you exactly what's worth what, what's a good bargain, and what's a worthy investment. By now I'm instinctually able to pick out quality. Even in places like TJ Maxx and Ross I still manage to get drawn to the only purse in the store that costs $299.00 (on sale!). Household stuff? Not so much. I have no clue how much pots and pans cost, and which ones are good quality. And my usual modernish style definitely doesn't mesh well with the quirkiness of my new place. Plus, I haven't stayed there long enough to know the dimensions and to figure out exactly what I need and don't need. I also don't know how much stuff I'll be able to comfortable jack from home, and I definitely don't want to invest in duplicates...

Theory #3: I'm resenting leaving home now that I have to do it. I think this was most strongly evident today when out of a line of dishes in target I was only attracted to the white ones with... PINK FLOWERS!!! If you know anything about me, you'll remember that I'm all about clean lines, weird shapes, and classy or bright colors. Flowers... not so much. I've successfully killed several plants in my office, and about half of my mom's potted flowers while she was gone. I'm just NOT a flower person -- live or decoration. But I'm imagining them hanging from the hook outside my window! Am I turning into mom?!

Theory #4: I'm being smart about money. Maybe the difficult part is choosing what I get right away and what I get later. But the looming sense that rent is due September 1st and on the first of every month for the next year is... overwhelming. And I'm not about to get into credit card debt just so I can have all my stuff right away. That'd make it fun only for one night anyways. There'd be no gradual acquisition of treasures... No history of my household. So pick and choose I must.

Theory #5: It's that mentality of opposition. Now that I have to actually buy everything, I don't want to do it! It's the same in working and writing. I only enjoy it when I don't have to. I've had so many days when I'd start outputing crazy amounts of work the minute it's time to go home! And accomplish more in several hours on a weekend in my office than I've done the entire week... I guess it's called stubborness. I should work on that.

All I'm hoping for is that tomorrow will be a new day, I'll be well rested, and think better than tonight. Because right now I can't stop thinking about those dishes with flowers... Which just shows I really need some sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Or maybe you can just go shopping with your mom, which pretty sure she has some expertise in this area...and a good time to spend with your mom now that you're on your own.
    i have another theory...buy only the absolute essentials. who knows, maybe you'll get married soon and your future husband wont like it..what will u do with all that stuff?? cant throw away practially brand new things. and u have no idea how much fun it can be to go shopping for these type of things together! its a way for u guys to get to know each other in other areas where u wouldnt of otherwise, even by just asking cuz he may not even know until put in that position! :) there's my bit of wisdom hahahah
    Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete